Monday, October 26, 2009

Greens for Breakfast

   I just returned home last night from a hectic weekend in Boston, working as a second shooter for my friend Katie at a gorgeous Wellesley wedding. At the horticulture center, no less! However, photographing plant life was not exactly on the shot list, although I did get a boutonniere or two (very beautiful, Calla lilies...)
   Needless to say, my body hurts, both from driving and carrying camera equipment for many hours. I came home to messages about granola shortages (oh my!) and a chicken who was trying to roost in the pen instead of the coop. Katie fed me Halloween candy, which is not exactly brain food. Okay, maybe it wasn't a force feeding, and her husband also made a ridiculously good dinner, and she even leaves water by my bedside. However, I feel almost hungover from my experience, and I'm in need of a long walk and greens for breakfast!
Luckily, most stores around here sell frozen Myer's Bagels (local, Montreal style wood-fired bagels) if you can't make it to their shop in Burlington. So good! I toasted a sesame bagel I found in the freezer, and had it alongside scrambled eggs with mushrooms and goat cheese, as well as greens from the hoophouse tossed with homemade Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette that I always keep on hand.






Emulsified Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 T mustard of your choice (I like grainy or Dijon)
2 T maple syrup (luckily JP's dad keeps us supplied - yum!)
dash salt
1/4 C Balsamic Vinegar
pulse in blender, then add in a slow steady stream while blending:
3/4 C olive oil
adding the oil slowly guarantees the emulsification process (not oily and separated, but the thick and creamy dressing that I require.) Feel free to add a clove of minced garlic or a shallot at the beginning for extra flavor.
Now I'm off for that walk!

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave a message. Haikus are always appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails