Sunday, November 15, 2009

Soup Makin' & Seed Savin'


I've been working my way through a large CSA box of Winter Squash over the past few weeks, mostly making soups and grain dishes out of the 5 or 6 heirloom varieties that we have on hand. This past year, we didn't have space to grow squash ourselves, and so we arranged for a Fall Vegetable only CSA with our local organic farm. Next year, though, space has already been set aside, so I've been sure to rinse off all the seeds and label them for planting. Here's the recipe I use for pretty much every root vegetable soup I make, like the Acorn Squash & Apple Cider Soup above (with a homemade popover , leftover from JP's mom's birthday brunch this morning!)



Squash & Root Vegetable Soup
1 squash scrubbed, pierced with a fork, & baked at 375 for one hour, set aside to cool

Diced Root Vegetables to saute in olive oil over med. high heat for 5 -10 minutes:
3 carrots
1 med. onion
1 celeriac
1 turnip
3 parsnips
3 cloves garlic
1 sweet potato

I then add about 1 T nutmeg, 1 1/2 T thyme, and 1 t cayenne with 2 t salt and mix well. Next I add 1 - 2 diced apples, the squash (scraped out of it's skin) 1 Qt. vegetable stock, and about 1 1/2 C of apple cider. After letting the mixture come to a slight boil, I turn off the heat and puree in a food processor in batches, returning the smooth mixture to the pot. Lastly, I adjust the texture by adding a bit more cider, water, and sometimes a small amount of cream or half and half if I have any around. Then of course, I pour them into small glass pint jars, and they're off to the freezer for a perfect lunch with a hoophouse salad.

5 comments:

  1. I am going to give the soup a try. Must use the winter squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I recently found Artful Greens and I'm glad I did. You do a fantastic job with writing and photography, which is why I am extending an award to you in my latest post "Tree Traditions and an Award." You're not obligated to pass it on, but I wanted you and others to know I think your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Villager - wow, thank you! I am still learning this Blog stuff, and I thank you immensely for your flattering encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, I bet that it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a message. Haikus are always appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails