Today we constructed three new raised beds using #2 or 'Garden Stock' cedar. I like to take care of these chores in the Fall so that the soil mix has plenty of time to cure over the winter. Because it's such a slow time of year for them, the lumber company happily cut all of our wood to size for us. This was much appreciated, as the 2 x 12's were better pickings than the 2 x 8's, but a total pain to secure in our truck. So, we were that much closer to done when we got back. First, JP made a simple template for a corner joint from the scraps:
He made sure that they were a loose fit, and traced them onto the corresponding wood:
Made the cut on the bandsaw (we can't keep a jigsaw alive for some reason. Or an avocado plant.)
Made good use of at least 3 rarely used objects in the garage; one of our house rules.
Nailed the corners together with Paslode pleasure:
And just like that, we have more space.....We did start removing the sod and turning the soil; tomorrow we'll get up early to fill the beds with leaves, rotted hay, compost, peat moss, and whatever else we can find. I can't wait to decide what to plant where!
and meanwhile, the girls kept themselves busy. I didn't get a picture, but one of them flew onto JP's plate while he was eating a sandwich - good stuff...